The District Administration selected HEAL as the NGO representative to attend the Disaster Management for NGOs Workshop organized by Anna Institute of Management, Chennai in the year 1998 sponsored by Indian Institute of Public Administration, New Delhi.
Tsunami Rehabilitation Activities:
- HEAL selected the following villages for Tsunami Relief and Rehabilitation work - Annai Nagar, Pallam, Periacaud, Mela Manakudy, Rajakkamangalam, Puthenthurai, Pozhikkarai and Kesavanputhenthurai in the coastal belt and 14 adjoined villages (Michiyanvilai, Agasteeswaram, Thamaraiputhur, Puthukudiyiruppu, Sethipathiyoor, South Paulkinattanvilai, Ottathenganvilai, Kannakurichi, Adambuvilai, Kovilvilai, Thickanamcode, Pallivilagam, Kattukadai, Chemmuthal) of sea shell collectors/workers community in Kanyakumari District. We also worked in the Koothakuli village of Tirunelveli District.
- In Annai Nagar, those fishermen whose fishing equipments were either destroyed or damaged were helped under this program. 30 Catamarans had been repaired, provided 20 Catamarans, 3750 kg of fishing nets had been supplied to 125 fishermen and 12000 kg net supplied to 120 beneficiaries in Koothakuli. Apart from this 40 Fisher head load vendors received head load vessels and revolving fund.
Housing repair work:
- In Mela Manakudy, HEAL identified 42 families whose houses had been damaged by the tsunami waves. So we undertook repair works.
- Fish auction hall and low cost fish storage with ice were constructed in Annai Nagar.
- In Annai Nagar one pre school building was constructed for 32 children. Two parks were also constructed for the children.
- 7 child care activities centre are functioning with 186 children in Annai Nagar.
- HEAL identified the sea shell collectors/workers community as they were directly affected by Tsunami.
- They are the faceless and voiceless community left out by NGOs and INGOs as beneficiaries for the Relief and Rehabilitation work.
- So we selected the 14 hamlets for Relief and Rehabilitation work. The following support was provided to these villages.
- Sixteen bicycles were given for the livelihood options.
- Six lakhs rupees of revolving fund had been given to 22 SHGs to start the IGPs.
- Seventeen child care centres were constructed and functioning efficiently with various child care activities. 658 children are benefited from this.
- Two Sea shell handicrafts training had been imparted to 50 adolescent girls of the seashell community.
- Sea weed culture training imparted to 20 beneficiaries.
- The seashell collectors/workers community was federated under a district level platform to benefit the entire community.
- Art therapy workshop for children was conducted.
- Two children’s special day observation program was conducted.
- Provided creative materials for education activities in the child care centres.
- Network of NGOs and stakeholders of the Tsunami Rehabilitation program.
- Conducted investigative study on the estuarine eco-system in 5 estuary mouths in Kanyakumari District.
- Conducted a study on the status on the Sand Dunes in the coastal villages.
- Conducted a study on the occupational health hazards in seashell processing activity.
- Conducted a study on eco-system in the coastal villages and the impact of tourism development in coastal environment.
- Two coastal villages of Annai Nagar and Pallam were selected for afforestation.
- 2000 saplings of casuarinas and thespesia were planted in these villages.
- One of the self help groups was also provided with the necessary equipments and skills for maintaining the plants. They were also given the responsibility of protecting the plants.
- 1400 coconut saplings were distributed to the beneficiaries of 16 villages.
Training for teachers:
- Training programmes were organized for school teachers on disaster preparedness.
- Inputs were given through power point presentations by experienced experts on different types of disaster (both natural and manmade) and its impacts, measures and mechanisms of pre and post emergency situations.
- The emphasis was also given on the need for psycho social care for children in any disaster situations, how to identify traumatized children and make referral services for treatment.
- Follow up trainings were conducted on topics like Disaster Prevention in Collaboration with the National Green Corps, Department of Education - Government of Tamil Nadu.
- The main topic for discussion was Disaster Prevention and Management and the role of Eco Clubs which was formed in the schools in the name of National Green Corps by the Department.
- The teachers were of the opinion that after receiving the basic training on Disaster Prevention, they have communicated the message to all the schools in the 8 coastal villages. In this way the children in these villages are benefited.